Tagalog Pronunciation

Monday, December 14, 2009

As a native speaker of Tagalog, I am only aware of five vowel sounds in Tagalog. If there are more I'd be happy to be corrected. As I pointed out somewhere in this blog I am not a language teacher so I will not even pretend to know everything about Tagalog. Whatever it is that I share here is just based on my practical experience with the language.

So, anyway, as I said, there are five vowel sound in Tagalog. These are:

  • a as in ah
  • e as in eh
  • i as in ee or bit
  • o as in bought or paw
  • u as in ooh or moo
And here they are as used in actual Tagalog words.


mabuhay = mah-booh-high
malakas = mah-lah-kahs
telepono = teh-leh-p(aw)-naw
umuulan = ooh-moo-ooh-lahn
itlog = eet-lawg
oo = aw-aw
hindi = heen-di

(more to come)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mag-comment ka naman.

Adsense